Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes - Miss Texas Reilly


“A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes”
I am a Cinderella aficionado. I have Cinderella paraphernalia of all sorts (including her autograph). I believe in the proverbial glass slipper because it symbolizes the realization of one’s dreams. On July 1, 2011, I realized one of my dreams and I slid my foot into that “glass slipper” when I heard my name called as Miss Texas’ Outstanding Teen 2011. I still have to pinch myself to see if I am dreaming!
The first week of my reign was a whirlwind of activity. After my crowning on July 1, I met with the new Miss Texas Kendall Morris and the Executive Directors for a pizza party! Now that was fun after not eating pizza for months. I had forgotten just how yummy it is! The next morning, we had the official contract signing and then I had to leave for dance competition in New York City. When I returned on Thursday, David Vogel, Vicki Slaton and I participated in the MAOT lottery. My placement is perfect! I have interview on Tuesday morning, Fitness on Tuesday night, Talent on Wednesday and Evening Gown and Onstage Question on Thursday. Although the time is short, I am continuing to work diligently on interview, talent and fitness to represent Texas to the best of my ability.
On Saturday, Kendall, David, Vicki, Mike and I traveled to San Antonio for the Miss San Antonio pageant. Kendall was one of the emcees of the event and I helped out as needed. Both of us performed our talent and enjoyed meeting the contestants. Oh, and we had the nicest hotel suite ever. (David and Vicki told us not to get used to this kind of luxury but it really was great!) It was a wonderful time spent together.
Today Kendall and I had a day long photo shoot with Zac Grimaldo. He took amazing pictures for our crown shots and headshots. We did a lot of really fun and creative pictures. The funniest of all was our realization that I did an entire photo segment with my dress on wrong side out! Oh, well…that’s so Reilly.
This week will be filled with meetings and workouts, an appearance for the Empowered Woman seminar in Colleyville, talent rehearsals and interview training. In addition, Kendall and I, along with our Executive Directors, are going to the Miss Arkansas pageant. I am looking forward to this opportunity to appear as Texas’ representative.
And finally, I must come full circle and explain my obsession with all things Cinderella. To some the story’s impact lies in the fairytale ending where Prince Charming suddenly appears and rescues Cinderella. To me, that isn’t the important part of the story. Cinderella is my favorite Disney princess because she doesn’t need to be rescued by Prince Charming or by anyone else. She is kind in the face of cruelty, forgiving toward those who don’t deserve her forgiveness, optimistic even though her circumstances are undesirable and a dreamer when there seems little chance that her dreams will come true. Cinderella is a strong woman and I try to imitate those qualities. I don’t always succeed…but I keep trying.
Reilly