Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Style File: Meet The Muse: Kelly Framel

Style File
Meet The Muse: Kelly Framel
Aug 17th 2011, 14:17

Girl-about-town Natalie Joos spends her days casting for shows like ADAM and Yigal Azrouël and editorials for the likes of Mario Sorrenti and Mariano Vivanco, but her passion is vintage clothing. Joos’ blog, Tales of Endearment spotlights her “Muses,” impeccably styled girls and guys who share her secondhand obsession. In a new partnership with Style.com, Tales of Endearment’s subjects discuss their shoots right here on Style File.

In 2008, Kelly Framel started her blog, The Glamourai, as a passion project while she worked her day job designing dresses at Naeem Khan. “At the time, blogging was very small, so I thought it would be this little thing I would just do for fun,” Framel tells Style.com. Today, the Brooklyn-based glamour girl finds she has her hands pretty full. In addition to running her blog full-time and managing a handful of consulting projects on the side, she designs a small collection of one-of-a-kind jewelry made from vintage gems and fabrics. She has certainly come a long way since her childhood days playing dress-up and staging photo shoots at home in Austin, Texas, which were “more inspired by the photo booths at Six Flags than the pages of Vogue,” she tells Joos.

Here, Framel tells Style.com about the evolution of her personal style and her penchant for polka dots.

—Kristin Studeman


It’s no secret that there are thousands of fashion blogs out there these days. How do you keep your content unique?
When I started it, I was working as a fashion designer and wanted a different creative outlet. At the time, blogging was very small, so I thought it would be this little thing I would just do for fun. The great thing about blogging is it’s so personal. The best thing you can do is keep it very you and not try to do what other people are doing. That’s my secret, at least.

How has your vision for your blog evolved over the years?
In the beginning, it was mostly focused on fashion. I was working from the perspective of a designer and these days I’m inspired by interior design, not so much the runways. That’s definitely reflected in the blog now. Actually, I loved interior design before I even discovered fashion. I would love for it to become more a part of my job in some way or another at some point, but I’m not sure how that will be.

What’s your personal style like, at the moment?
I’m getting a lot busier and find my style is streamlining as a result of it. That’s partly just getting older. It’s also becoming more classic. I have always loved patterns and prints, but these days I will maybe wear one or two, instead of three or four.


What items have been your go-to summer staples?
It’s funny, I have always loved small bags and love that they are in style right now, but this summer I find myself carrying big bags. I have this big duffel from the Coach classic collection I have been wearing like crazy. I can carry my life in there—my puppy, a change of clothes, shoes…Also, I just bought like 25 of the same T-shirt. I’m living in cool, classic white shirts these days.

And for fall, what are you looking forward to?
I am loving this whole longer skirt moment. The midi skirt—I think that’s a great item you can find in a vintage store. That’s what I’m on the hunt for right now.

What do you typically gravitate toward when you are shopping for vintage and non-vintage clothes?
I love polka dots. I have a real addiction to leopard print and polka dot. My sister makes fun of me for it because every time I go to a vintage store it’s a battle between vintage polka and leopard.

Where do you shop in New York for your vintage pieces?
I don’t—I go home to Texas. The hunt is not quite the same in New York.

What’s old is new again when…You add your most of-the-moment accessories and a thoroughly modern mind-set.

For more from Kelly’s shoot, visit Tales of Endearment.

Photos: Natalie Joos

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions