Saturday, August 20, 2011

Kendall Morris Miss Texas 2011


Congrats Miss Texas
Miss Texas… These two words have been replaying in my head over and over the past few days. I have always been a dreamer, and I distinctly remember receiving my first signed autograph picture of Miss Texas 2000 Tara Watson. After taking one look at the picture that said “Always dream BIG,” I told my mom that I wanted to be Miss Texas someday. As I walked down the runway Friday night at Texas Hall, one of the first faces that I saw was none other than Tara Watson. The title of Miss Texas carries such a legacy and history with it. I have so much respect for the women who have held the title before me, and I hope that I can live up to the standard of excellence that each former has set. To sum up how I am feeling, I am blessed. My goals for the next year are to serve the state of Texas with my whole heart and bring the Miss America crown back to Texas.
My year is already off to a great start. My first official appearance was Sunday night at the “Light up Arlington” event. I attended a meet and greet, did an interview with Radio Disney, and introduced the 80’s cover band “The Spasmatics” on the main stage. The next morning I rode in the Arlington 4th of July parade. It was a typical hot Texas summer day, but the streets were lined with people. Thank you to Enterprise for providing a beautiful white Mustang convertible for my use in the parade. This week I also had an interview at WFAA Channel 8. I was beyond excited to do this interview because I have grown up watching WFAA, and it is my dream to work there someday. It was surreal to meet and chat with some of my childhood idols like Gloria Campos.
One of the very special highlights so far has been receiving my brand new Infiniti G37 from Grubbs Infiniti. I have never driven a new car so I am forever grateful to Mr. Grubbs for allowing me to drive one of his exceptional cars all over the state of Texas during my year of service. I am still trying to learn how to use all of the high-tech features in the car since I was used to driving an old Mustang that would not allow me to even roll down the windows.
As my first week as Miss Texas is coming to a close, I am in love with this job. My adventures have only begun, and I cannot wait to see what the rest of the year has in store. I realize that my time as Miss Texas is temporal so I am enjoying it one day at a time for now.
Kendall